The Assunnah Muslim Association (AMA) is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to participate in activities and events in an atmosphere which promotes equal opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices.
In order to promote a safe and equitable environment, the AMA Board endorses the following policies:
- Volunteer and staff screening – AMA employs a number of means to screen potential applicants for volunteer and staff positions, particularly for positions involving interaction with children.
- Harassment and abuse – AMA has a zero-tolerance policy towards harassment and abuse. The AMA is committed to providing an environment free of harassment on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, marital and family status or disability. The AMA’s position on harassment and abuse is long-standing. This policy applies to all AMA staff, volunteers and members.
- Equitable access – AMA goes to great lengths to ensure equitable access to its programs, activities and events to a diverse membership, balancing competing demands for limited resources.
- Complaints – AMA has an open-door policy and accepts inquiries in person, over the phone and online. All complaints are investigated thoroughly with a view to addressing members’ concerns and resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Conflict of interest – All members of AMA board of directors, staff and volunteers are expected to adhere to high standards of ethical conduct. Incidents of conflict of interest must be identified, discussed and mitigated swiftly. As a not-for-profit organization, AMA relies heavily on the goodwill of its membership and volunteers in order to sustain its mission and perform its functions within the Muslim community. AMA continues to earn the public’s confidence in its integrity. To do so, each AMA staff member must continue be mindful of potential conflicts of interest and avoid even the slightest appearance of impropriety.
- Safety – AMA places the highest priority in safety while planning and executing its activities and special events. To this end, AMA complies fully with all required municipal and provincial safety regulations both in its community centre and during off-site events.
- Concussion prevention and management – As an organization whose programs include sport and recreation activities, AMA recognizes the importance of concussion prevention and management. AMA is in the process of developing a concussion strategy consistent with the objectives of Ontario’s provincial health, education and sports ministries in order to promote concussion awareness, prevention, identification and management.